Welcome to my site! I am Kim Gordon and this is my fifth year as the counselor of Orvis Risner Elementary School. As the school counselor, I will work to support students socially, emotionally, and academically. To accomplish this, I serve students through school-wide programs that include classroom guidance lessons, Leadership and Lunch bunch groups for 4th and 5th grade, small group instruction, and short term individual counseling.
I serve as the Chapter Advisor to our National Elementary Honor Society students in the 5th grade and coordinate with the Regional Food Bank, Calm Waters, Call Sam and many other organizations which provide our students with needed resources. (See Resource page).
This summer, I was fortunate to attend the Conscious Discipline Institute through a grant I helped write collaboratively with Mrs. Pattillo. She and I, along with our School Psychologist, Mrs. Brown learned so much to bring back to Orvis students and teachers. I am looking forward to this school year and the ability to serve ALL students, teachers and parents!
What do school counselors do?
School counselors help children by…
* Being an advocate for all students.
* Promoting positive attitudes among students toward self, family, peers, and community.
* Providing support during personal crises.
* Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach such skills as healthy decision making, resolving conflicts, and respecting others.
* Working collaboratively with parents, teachers, and the community to identify and remove
barriers to learning.
The information shared on this website is designed and intended to provide information to teachers, parents and other stakeholders about the curriculum of the elementary counseling department. The lessons and materials provided I have found through multiple sources.